Re-review: Oresteia, Almeida

“This cannot be a place where the woman is less important"

There was no chance I wasn't going to book for Robert Icke's Oresteia again, I came out of it first time round quite sure that I'd seen one of the shows of the year and on second viewing, I am still firmly of that view. My original review can be read here and there isn't too much more to be said aside from reiterating wow, wow, wow - how exciting it would be if this heralded just a handful more productions looking towards Europe for their inspiration and succeeding so thrillingly.

So the gauntlet has been laid for the Oresteias yet to come - at the Globe and at Manchester's HOME, but also for the rest of the Greeks season. Bakkhai may already be sold out with Medea to follow and the anticipation could not be higher.

Running time: 3 hours 40 minutes
Photo: Manuel Harlan
Booking until 18th July, sold out but returns possible and well worth queuing for

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,