Blogged: a couple of YouTube clips for your delectation

After being given a lovely recommendation of a video on YouTube that most definitely spoke to my interests, I got to thinking how to say thank you, and so I thought I'd pop a couple of my favourite YouTube clips on here in return. Perhaps unsurprisingly, they're all musical theatre related, but that's just how I roll ;-)

First up is a video that I'm sure that of you will have seen already: Julie Atherton's hilarious clip for Portrait of a Princess, created to coincide with Michael Bruce's album launch for Unwritten Songs (on which the track appears). My love for Ms Atherton is no secret and this really is one of the best show cases of why I love her so much, her gift for comic acting whilst singing is just second to none - the eye rolls at 3:45 are a particular thing of joy - even just the fact that it is set in bits of Hackney I know well amuses me, skipping gaily through Ridley Road market is a hoot. Throw in cameos from a princely Russell Tovey, a slutty Sheridan Smith and an outrageously buff Jon Lee, amongst others, and it's a definite recipe for success.


Second up is this recording of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth singing Wicked's For Good before the show had even started. It's a lovely rendition of the climactic duet which showcases both their voices beautifully, but the reason I love it is for the moment at 5:17 onwards when Idina goofs a little with a note and Kristin then tugs her hair, it is just the cutest moment and I adore the open way in which they both laugh about it at the end of the song.  


And last but by no means least is the cast of Hello, Dolly! from the Open Air Theatre, performing Put On Your Sunday Clothes at the 2010 Olivier Awards. I can't embed the video so you'll have to visit YouTube directly to see the clip, which is recorded from off the television as the official online version was taken down. So the sound's not great, and the video quality is not amazing, but I'd say it was worth it for the sheer exuberance of this number which still comes through. It was one of the happiest shows I ever saw and though I didn't realise it at the time, featured something close to my dream musical cast in Samantha Spiro, Josefina Gabrielle and Daniel Crossley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esG7VjXcd38

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,